Monday, July 16, 2007

Second Life Widower

Now I know how Football Widows feel. Let's put that into a more appropriate geek-centric context...

Now I know how Warcraft Widows feel. My wife, Avril, started playing Second Life three weeks ago. She's been shopping and dressing and surfing and whatever else people do in SL.

She informed me that if I want to play PC games more than once or twice a week, I'd better go buy a new computer. Wh-what? Under normal circumstances I'd be thrilled. I just got the greenlight to buy a new PC...bwahahahaha.

Unfortunately, however, damn't, all my extra cash for the rest of the year is going towards the house. Stupid me. Why did I pick this summer to replace the garage door and paint the house? Maybe Santa will leave me something special under the tree.

Avril played Sims and Sims 2 in years gone by, but this is her first MMO. We now have something new to talk about, which is a good thing believe it or not. At least now she understands how easy it is to get wrapped up in a game.

We can talk about server lag and griefers and omg-i-better-get-to-bed-because-i-have-to-be-at-work-in-five-hours kinds of nights. We can also talk about customizing our avatars and chatting with friends and exploring massive worlds.

My son and I bought a Wii in June, so I’ll burn through a few console titles this summer thanks to our Gamefly account. At least that will take some of the sting out of being a Second Life Widower.

No comments: