Monday, November 5, 2007

Simple Questions

Avril asks simple questions that contain deep wisdom. It started this weekend when my darling wife asked me an innocent question: How is Lord of the Rings going?

I told her about my problems with the graphics (secretly hoping she'd green light a new, sexy 8800 GTX...no luck). I told her about feeling limited and stuck. How the game started with a rush but has since gone limp. I told her that I haven't logged into Middle Earth for days and don't mind that I haven't. I told her that I don't feel the excitement I felt when I played World of Warcraft. I should still be in the honeymoon phase with LotRO. What's wrong with me? Instead I'm pining away for my first MMO love.

Avril's next question floored me: Why don't you play Warcraft instead? I sputtered something dumb that honestly I don't remember, but her idea stuck with me. I can't shake it. My wife's simple question haunts me. Why don't I play Warcraft? But I'll take Treebeard's advice on this one... don't be too hasty.

Expect to hear more on this subject.

P.S. Do you watch Heroes on NBC? You should.

3 comments:

Bildo said...

Hi Link,

Welcome to the club. :)

Don't fight it. LotRO just doesn't have very strong long-term appeal.

Link said...

I was prepared for that, but it just surprised how quickly it came. I figured I'd have a good 3 to 6 months in Middle Earth. But whatever, right? I'm not slogging through a game I'm not enjoying so much when I know there is one I could be.

Bildo said...

It's sort of a weird place a lot of us who really dig WoW are in. We all want something new after 3 years, but there's not anything that seems up to snuff just yet.

I'm playing WoW, but more so I'm playing a lot of offline or single-player type games while I wait for Pirates in January. Not sure how long it'll last me either, but I have it on good word that's a fun and unique game. I'll be playing it hopefully until Lich King, Conan or Warhammer hits. Which ever comes first, lol.