Monday, September 17, 2007

It's the Name of the Game

No one asked, but I feel like sharing. What's with my name? Believe it or not but my name is Link. And if I hear a single wisecrack about Zelda or Hyrule or Tri-Force, I'm shoving an ocarina up your...well you get the picture. I've heard all the jokes before. Middle school was so much fun. And jokes about Missing Links and Weakest Links are kinda old too. Just kidding about the ocarina.

And about the blog name... Big Daddy Gamer was not my first choice for the blog name. Or choices two through twelve. I toyed with the idea of starting a blog for a few months, but did zero planning. Then one day it just sort of happened, but I couldn't find a good name. I tried name after name and quickly became frustrated. It felt like naming a character in World of Warcraft. My vision for the blog was commentary about gaming from a personal point of view and finding a balance between games and life (especially being a dad with two kids).

For a while when my daughter was three, she called me "Big Daddy." I tried to convice Avril that she should call me that too, but she refused for some weird reason. I'd get a kick out of my wife calling me Big Daddy. Maybe I rolled low on my Persuasion skill check or maybe the DC was too high. I'm rambling.

Let's just leave it at this: I panicked and tried picking something related to the blog's theme and so here we are with Big Daddy Gamer.

Also, check out the podcast Shut Up! We're Talking #9. I listened to it for the first time this morning at work. Good stuff. Reminds me of NPR but all about MMOs and gaming.

No comments: